Print competition is a free event for members and non-members to come experience judging, hear critiques and learn from what the judges have to say. We encourage everyone to take part through entering and challenging yourself to push your creativity, and, at the very least, come see the entries and learn from other people's work.
Our judging panel will include: Randy Peterson, Steve Kemp, Toni Harryman, Michael Cravens and JuliAnne Jonker. David Grupa will be the jury chair.
2018 Print Competition Rules
Print Judging Date: 10:00 a.m. Sunday, January 21, 2018
National Camera Exchange
14380 Burnhaven Dr.
Burnsville, MN 55306
Registration Deadline: 5 pm Friday January 19, 2018 @ printcompetition.com
Delivery/Ship in start date: January 10, 2018
(All entries being physically delivered, shipped or mailed need to be sent so as to arrive at the address below no later than 4 pm Friday, January 19, 2018.)
Entry Fee: $10 per entry (TCPPA Members) | $15 per entry (Non-members)
$20 senior folio competition – see rules below
All images, whether prints or digital, must be pre-registered and pre-paid
at printcompetition.com by 5 p.m. Friday, January 19, 2018.
Please read the following print rules carefully.
You may enter either prints or digital images. For this year, only print entries will be eligible for TCPPA, Student and Vendor awards. All images, whether prints or digital, must be pre-registered and pre-paid at printcompetition.com by 5 p.m. Friday, January 19, 2018. Uploaded files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 10 MB.
Shipping Information: If you are shipping your cases, they must be dropped off or shipped to arrive at the following address by 4 pm Friday, January 19, 2018.
Lisa Asp – Print Chair
Tangerine House of Design
6129 France Avenue South
Edina, MN 55410
Additional rules and information follow below and is also available at the printcompetition.com website, association website or by contacting Print Chair Lisa Asp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-303-3619
The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter photographic or digital prints, digital albums, and/or traditional albums to be judged relative to the 12 Elements of a Merit Print for the purpose of critique and/or competing for awards. For more information, see: http://www.ppa.com/competitions/content.cfm?ItemNumber=1792&navItemNumber=2213
Judging will be to PPA standards but it should be noted that this is NOT a PPA Affiliated Competition and PPA merits can NOT be earned. These rules pertain to images created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured electronically with a digital camera or scanner.
This competition is open to anyone. Awards will only be given for physical (print) entries, with the exception of album entries per association rules. Digital entries will be scored but are not eligible for awards. Only current members of TCPPA are eligible for Association and Vendor awards. Senior folios may be entered either digitally or physically by anyone, but only TCPPA members will be eligible for folio awards.
PrintCompetition.com: As mentioned earlier, ALL entries must be pre-registered and the entry fee pre-paid at printcompetition.com by 5 pm Friday, January 19, 2018. You may view live judging through the Print Competition Game Day app on your computer, smart phone or tablet that will allow you to watch the judging as it happens (audio is not available). You will see current image that is being seen by the judges and watch the results come in. The app automatically refreshes so you just sit back and watch. In addition to the current image being judged, you will also see thumbnails of the top 16, a list of the last 20 scores and a list of the next 15 coming up. For an additional fee, you can upgrade to apps that give you even more features. Note: there is no audio with the online judging, so we recommend you attend live judging if possible to hear the judge’s remarks.
Questions: Contact Print Chair Lisa Asp at email@example.com or 952-303-3619.
Student Entrants: In order to qualify for the student awards, the entrant must be enrolled in a college or post-secondary school within the confines of Minnesota region. A full time student must carry 12 semester hours. Students are eligible to qualify for student awards provided that they are also: a) a member of TCPPA, and b) have complied with official rules. Student entrants are not eligible for Vendor awards or for any other TCPPA awards but qualify for the Student of the Year Award.
1. The entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
2. Any entry which has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted, or displayed. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law that entry shall be disqualified.
3. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere on the face of the entry.
4. There is no limit to the number of entries may be submitted per entrant. These may be a combination of prints and albums. Each print and/or album submitted counts as one entry. You must enter at least three prints/albums in order to be eligible for photographer of the year awards.
5. Entrant must have a model release on file for each entry submitted.
6. No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor/ speaker or workshop.
7. The same subject may be in more than one of the entrant’s submitted images.
8. Entries previously merited at any TCPPA or PPA International Competition are not eligible, including any image from a merited album.
9. Entry media includes photographic prints, folios, albums, digital albums or digital images.
10. The print committee is not responsible for possible handling damage to entered submissions.
11. No Late Entries will be accepted - please note the deadlines above.
12. Entry fees will be paid on PrintCompetition.com at the time you register. Labels should be printed directly through PrintCompetition.com and adhered to the back of each print.
13. Vendors require labels to be printed and adhered to the back of a print as well - be sure you follow the instructions for vendor awards to be eligible.
1. Portrait: Portrait photographs of any person or group of people. Bridal and Wedding portraits are not eligible.
2. Wedding/Candid: All photographs pertaining to brides, weddings or social events.
3. Illustrative/Unclassified: Pictorials, scenic, graphic art, pets or any subject matter with a creative theme should be entered in this category. Images that have been highly retouched or enhanced, including images of people, using digital methods or images that have been creatively altered using digital filters should be entered in this category. Commercial or industrial entries should also be entered under this category.
4. Event Album: Albums containing any subject matter from time-sensitive events such as weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc.
5. Non-Event Album: Albums containing any non-event subject such as portraits and storytelling albums.
6. Senior Folio: High school senior portraits showcasing at least 8 images from a single session. See additional information below. This category is open to anyone, but only TCPPA members are eligible for awards.
The print chairperson and/or board have the right to question the category of any entry. The judges have the option to change the classification and their decision is final.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES ALLOWED: You may submit any combination of albums or individual images. Seniors Folios is an additional category and does not count as a print case entry for awards. There is an additional entry fee the senior folio category.
1. Sizes: Entrants may submit printed images of any shape and size on a mount board with a minimum of 80 square inches (8x10) to a maximum of 480 square inches (20x24) with the largest dimension no longer than 24 inches. Traditional competition size has been 16x20, but non-traditional sizes are now acceptable within the dimensions stated above.
2. Mounting: Print entries must be mounted on standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼” foam, or Sintra). “Float” mounting is accepted at the entrant’s risk for damage.
3. An identical jpeg copy of the printed image must be uploaded to printcompetiton.com at the time you register your competition entries.
4. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. No material may be added to the front or back of any entry that may damage another entry.
5. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
6. Use the official entry form and affix the official print label to the back of each print.
7. Adhere vendor award eligibility labels to the back of your print.
All digital files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 10 MB.
1. Album entries may be submitted in the form of a Traditional Album or a Digital Format Album.
2. There are 2 album entry categories - events and nonevents.
3. Events: Use this category for time-sensitive events such as weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc.
4. Non-events: Use this category for portraits and storytelling albums.
5. NOTE: Multi maker and single maker albums will be judged as one category.
TRADITIONAL ALBUM ENTRY:
1. Album covers must be between 63-400 square inches.
2. No multiple volume albums are allowed.
3. Any studio identification or entrant’s name in the traditional album must be covered.
4. Include the album label with your entry.
5. Even if you are entering a traditional, printed album, you must upload a digital file to printcompetition.com at the time you register your entry. This is for the purposes of watching the competition as it happens on the Game Day app from printcompetition.com. See the specs below for digital album entries.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY:
1. Digital album entries must be uploaded to the PrintCompetition.com site as a single ZIP file.
2. All files must contain color space sRGB JPEG at quality setting 10.
3. Each canvas/file may be a single album side or a spread with as many images as you desire.
4. Any album may contain up to 36 “Canvas Files” and should be named in the appropriate order as follows: Johnson_file01.jpg, Johnson_file02.jpg, etc.
5. Canvas/file01.jpg MUST be blank – filled with BLACK.
6. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
1. To quality for TCPPA’s Senior Photographer of the Year award, you must enter one male and one female senior folio. Anyone may enter this judging, but only TCPPA members are eligible for awards.
2. Folios may be traditional or collage style design, with a minimum of 8 images. Size of folios is up to 12x24, including the outer edges of the cover, no larger.
3. Folios will be judged under the competition lighting standards and by the same panel of selected print judges. They will be judged relative to the 12 Elements of a Merit Print & under the same scoring system as print or album entries.
4. Seniors Folios is an additional category and does not count as a print case entry. There is an additional entry fee of $10 per folio for the senior folio category.
Only printed entries by TCPPA members are eligible for awards as per rules defined above. The following awards will be presented:
1. Judge’s Choice – After all judging is completed, each judge will be able to select their favorite entry of choice.
2. Certified Professional Photographer of the Year - high print case score of 4 entries (top 4 scores in the case if more than 4 are entered) for a Certified Professional Photographer.
3. Lexjet Sunset Award – presented to an inkjet-printed entry. See vendor rules below. Judges will select the winner.
4. Fuji Masterpiece Award - presented to one printed portrait entry, one printed illustrative entry, and one printed wedding entry. Entries must be printed on Fuji paper and score >80+. See vendor rules below. Judges will select the winners.
1. TCPPA Senior Photographer of the Year- highest scoring combination of male and female folios chosen by a panel of judges. Given annually to the photographer having the highest combined score for their senior folios. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
2. TCPPA Portrait Photographer of the Year- top scoring print case in Portrait category (top 3 of 4 scores). Given annually to the photographer having the highest score for their top three prints in the portrait category. Their fourth entry may or may not be in the portrait category, but only their top three portrait scores will count towards this award. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
3. TCPPA Wedding Photographer of the Year- top scoring print case in Wedding category (top 3 of 4 scores). Given annually to the photographer having the highest score for their top three prints in the wedding/candid category. Their fourth entry may or may not be in the wedding/candid category, but only their top three wedding/candid scores will count towards this award. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
4. TCPPA Illustrative Photographer of the Year – top scoring print case in the Illustrative Category (top 3 of 4 scores). Given annually to the photographer having the highest score for their top three prints in the illustrative category. Their fourth entry may or may not be in the illustrative category, but only their top three illustrative scores will count towards this award. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
5. TCPPA Top Album Photographer – top scoring album entry. The TCPPA top album award is given annually to the highest scoring album. In the event of a tie, the judges will select the award winner.
6. TCPPA Photographer of the year- high total print case score of 4 entries. This will be a non-master. Given annually to the non-master photographer having the highest cumulative score for all four prints in any category.
7. TCPPA Master Photographer of the Year - high print case score of 4 entries for a Master Photographer. Given annually to the master photographer having the highest cumulative score for all four prints in any category.
8. TCPPA Best of Awards – top scoring print in each category.
9. TCPPA Student Photographer of the Year – top scoring print case submitted by a eligible student member (top 3 of 4 scores). Given annually to the student photographer having the highest cumulative score for top three prints in any category.
10. TCPPA First Time Case Entry – top scoring print case (top 3 of 4 scores) from a TCPPA member who has never entered at TCPPA print competition.
ADDITIONAL RULES FOR VENDOR AWARDS
Lexjet Sunset Award: The official Lexjet label must be printed and adhered to the back of your print. - If you need a blank label, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy.
· All inkjet-printed entries are eligible to win the “Best Print in Exhibition” Sunset award
· Entries need not be printed on Sunset inkjet media to win, but must be inkjet-printed
· An image must be submitted and be judged as a print
· The image must score >80 points during the PPA-style judging
· The image must be chosen from the 10 highest scoring prints in the competition
· The image cannot have won a Sunset award previously
· The image must adhere to all rules and qualifications of the host print competition
· The entrant must have all releases and permission of all subjects appearing in the image
Fuji Masterpiece Awards The official Fuji label must be printed and adhered to the back of your print. This will be printed from the Fuji website.
Please visit https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/photofinishing/paper_lab_products/Masterpiece.html
Only prints or printed albums will be considered for Fujifilm Masterpiece Awards.
The image must be printed on Fujicolor Crystal Archive.
To be eligible, an online application must be filled out prior to the competition. When doing so, please complete all fields except score (that gets written in later by judges). https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/photofinishing/paper_lab_products/pdf/2017_MasterpieceAwardApplication.pdf
Tape the form to the back of the print so that the print committee knows that you are submitting to be considered as a Fujifilm Masterpiece Award.
Full guidleines are here: https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/photofinishing/paper_lab_products/pdf/2017_Guidelines_Masterpiece_Award_Program.pdf
The image must receive a score of 80 or more points during PPA affiliate judging to be eligible for a Fujifilm Masterpiece Award.
One award will be presented in each of three categories: portrait, wedding, and illustrative.
Judges will select the winners.