Print competition is a free event for members and non-members to come experience judging, hear critiques and learn from what the judges have to say. We encourage everyone to take part through entering and challenging yourself to push your creativity, and, at the very least, come see the entries and learn from other people's work.
Our judging panel will include:
TCPPA February 2019 Image Competition Rules
Print Judging Date: 9:00 a.m. Sunday, February 24, 2019
Grinkie Girls and Amy Wurdock Photography Studio
550 Vandalia Street, Suite 262
St. Paul, MN 55114
Registration Deadline: 5 p.m. Friday, Febraury 22, 2019 at printcompetition.com
Entry Fee: $10 per entry (TCPPA Members) | $15 per entry (non-members)
$20 senior folio competition - see rules below
All images must be pre-registered and pre-paid at printcompetition.com by 5 p.m. Friday, February 22, 2019.
Please read the following competition rules carefully.
This competition will be 100% digital. You may only enter digital images. All images must be pre-registered and pre-paid at printcompetition.com by 5:00 p.m. Friday February 22, 2019. Uploaded files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 10 MB.
Additional rules and information follow below and is also available at the printcompetition.com website, association website or by contacting: email@example.com
The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter digital images, albums, folios to be judged relative to the 12 Elements of a Merit Print for the purpose of critique and/or competing for awards. For more information, see: https://www.ppa.com/events/photo-competitions/ipc-international-photographic-competition-overview/the-12-elements-of-a-merit-image
Judging will be to PPA standards but it should be noted that this is NOT a PPA Affiliated Competition and PPA merits can NOT be earned.
PrintCompetition.com: As mentioned earlier, ALL entries must be pre-registered and the entry fee pre-paid at printcompetition.com by 5 pm Friday February 22, 2019. You may view live judging through the Print Competition Game Day app on your computer, smart phone or tablet that will allow you to watch the judging as it happens. You will see current image that is being seen by the judges and watch the results come in. The app automatically refreshes so you just sit back and watch. In addition to the current image being judged, you will also see thumbnails of the top 16, a list of the last 20 scores and a list of the next 15 coming up. For an additional fee, you can upgrade the app which will give you even more features such as past discussions and a database of searchable images.
Questions: Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Entrants: In order to qualify for the student awards, the entrant must be enrolled in a college or post-secondary school within the confines of the Minnesota region. A full time student must carry 12 semester hours. Students are eligible to qualify for student awards provided that they have complied with official rules. Student entrants are eligible for any TCPPA awards and qualify for the Student of Spring 2019 Award.
1. The entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
2. Any entry which has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted, or displayed. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law that entry shall be disqualified.
3. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere on the face of the entry.
4. There is no limit to the number of entries that may be submitted per entrant. These may be a combination of images and albums. Each image and/or album submitted counts as one entry. You must enter at least three images/albums in order to be eligible for photographer of the year awards.
5. Entrant must have a model release on file for each entry submitted.
6. No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor, speaker or workshop.
7. The same subject may be in more than one of the entrant’s submitted images.
8. Entries previously merited at any TCPPA or PPA International Competition are not eligible, including any image from a merited album.
9. Entry media includes only digital images, digital folios, and digital albums.
10. No Late Entries will be accepted - please note the deadlines above.
11. Entry fees will be paid on PrintCompetition.com at the time you register.
1. Portrait: Portrait photographs of any person or group of people. Bridal and Wedding portraits are not eligible. Standard retouching is acceptable in the category.
2. Wedding/Candid: All photographs pertaining to brides, weddings or social events.
3. Illustrative/Unclassified: Pictorials, scenic, graphic art, pets or any subject matter with a creative theme should be entered in this category. Images that have been highly retouched or enhanced, including images of people, using digital methods or images that have been creatively altered using digital filters should be entered in this category. Commercial or industrial entries should also be entered under this category.
4. Master Artist: Creative concepts, composites, and other highly altered images should be submitted into the Master Artist category. Original thumbnails showing the original captures and/or the elements used must be presents as a part of the image.
5. Event Album: Albums containing any subject matter from time-sensitive events such as weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc.
6. Non-Event Album: Albums containing any non-event subject such as portraits and storytelling albums.
7. Senior Folio: High school senior portraits showcasing at least 8 images from a single session. See additional information below. This category is open to anyone.
The competition chairperson and/or board have the right to question the category of any entry. The judges have the option to change the classification and their decision is final.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES ALLOWED: You may submit any combination of albums or individual images. Seniors Folios is an additional category and does not count as an image case entry for awards. There is an additional entry fee the senior folio category.
All digital files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 10 MB.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY:
1. Digital album entries must be uploaded to the PrintCompetition.com site as a single ZIP file.
2. All files must contain color space sRGB JPEG at quality setting 10.
3. Each canvas/file may be a single album side or a spread with as many images as you desire.
4. Any album may contain up to 36 “Canvas Files” and should be named in the appropriate order as follows: Johnson_file01.jpg, Johnson_file02.jpg, etc.
5. Canvas/file01.jpg MUST be blank – filled with BLACK.
6. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
1. To quality for TCPPA’s Senior Photographer Spring 2019 award, you must enter at least one male and one female senior folio. Anyone may enter this judging.
2. Folios may be traditional or collage style design, with a minimum of 8 images. Size of folios is up to longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi), no larger.
3. Folios will be judged under the competition standards and by the same panel of selected competition judges. They will be judged relative to the 12 Elements of a Merit Print & under the same scoring system as digital image or album entries.
4. Seniors Folios is an additional category and does not count as case entry. There is an additional entry fee of $10 per folio for the senior folio category.
The following digital awards will be presented:
1. TCPPA Senior Photographer Spring 2019 - highest scoring combination of male and female folios chosen by a panel of judges. Given to the photographer having the highest combined score for their senior folios. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
2. TCPPA Portrait Photographer Spring 2019 - top scoring image case in Portrait category (Average score of all images entered). Given to the photographer having the highest average score for their images in the portrait category. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
3. TCPPA Wedding Photographer Spring 2019 - top scoring image case in Wedding category (Average score of all images entered). Given to the photographer having the highest score average for their images in the wedding/candid category. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
4. TCPPA Illustrative Photographer Spring 2019 – top scoring image case in the Illustrative Category (Average score of all images entered). Given to the photographer having the highest score average of all images entered in the illustrative category. Both masters and non-masters are eligible.
5. TCPPA Top Album Photographer Spring 2019 – top scoring album entry. The TCPPA top album award is given to the highest scoring album. In the event of a tie, the judges will select the award winner.
6. TCPPA Non-Master Photographer Spring 2019 - This will be a non-master. Given to the non-master photographer having the highest average image case score of entries any category.
7. TCPPA Master Photographer Spring 2019 - This will be a master photographer. Given to the master photographer having the highest average image case score of entries any category.
8. TCPPA Best of Spring 2019 Awards – Top scoring image in each category. Portrait, Wedding/Candid, Illustrative/Unclassified, Event Album, Non-Event Album, Senior Folio Male, Senior Folio Female.
9. TCPPA Student Photographer Spring 2019 – top scoring image case submitted by an eligible student member. Given to the student photographer having the highest average score for images in any category.
10. TCPPA First Time Case Entry – top scoring image case (Average score of all images entered) from a TCPPA member who has never entered a TCPPA image competition.
11. Judge’s Choice – After all judging is completed, each judge will be able to select their favorite entry of choice.
12. Certified Professional Photographer Spring 2019 - high image case average score of entries for a Certified Professional Photographer.